Monday, January 08, 2007

The Next Evolutionary Step in Human Existence?

COMMENT (Jimson): Are you suggesting we eradicate those who suffer from the virus as well?

COMMENT (beagle): Yes.

COMMENT (Jimson): That would mean they would be dead again. Is this your suggestion?

COMMENT (beagle): My suggestion is to treat an unnatural state by eradicating the virus.


In my opinion, what some of my readers – and government officials, for that matter – are suggesting in demanding the eradication of those who suffer from the R428 virus is no less than genocide. Furthermore, genocide of a race which has contributed substantially to world culture. All of the credentials in the world cannot justify this. And again, I must reiterate that the virus has not been established as the cause of PMMS. In the past it was held that there were races of immortals. Given the close correlation with PMMS and immortality, is it too outrageous a claim to suggest that PMMS may be the next evolutionary step in human existence? Wouldn’t it be arrogant of science to reject accepted wisdom by claiming that immortality is caused by a virus?

What “beagle” is suggesting is to deny the human race immortality. If it were millions of years ago, he might have denied us binaural hearing, or color vision. Further, I have a feeling I know who “beagle” is and he’s just bitter because he wasn’t asked to participate in the documentary.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I REFUSED to participate in the documentary, because I am interested in hard science, not pop feel-good science. Grace Lee makes liberal films that exploit downtrodden people for the purposes of entertainment. Furthermore, the article in Hippokratika, article was later discredited because the sample had been tainted. The scientist who authored the article retracted it after much debate.

Rodrigo Weiss said...

Here’s a damning quote from the article in question: “The presence of R428 in Pre-Decease humans remains hypothetical. Detection of auto-immune response to R428 in Post-Decease humans remains controversial, as the sample size is extremely small.” And you might say its author was hounded into a retraction. Those of us in Academe know that is can be as open-minded as a witch-hunt. I count my marginalized status as a badge of honor, despite the fact that the mice keep getting into this damned office and chewing on my wiring and leaving their droppings all over the place. And if by “Pop Science” you mean Populist, I take that as a compliment. My purpose here is to give the Tzombi a voice in modern society, a voice which they have been denied through much of civilization. Let’s end with that. The comments section on this post is now closed.

Anonymous said...

I know what it feels like to be immortal.